Thursday, May 1, 2014

Kentucky Derby Party Floral Arrangements


The Kentucky Derby is just days away!  Are you ready to host a Derby party at home?  If not, don't worry- this post will show you the easiest way to create the perfect environment for your guests in no time at all!



I feel that fresh flowers are the easiest way to decorate and bring fresh color into your home.  The Kentucky Derby’s “Run for the Roses” is perfect as an inspiration for your party decor and couldn’t be easier.  Red roses are great for your floral arrangements, but may not be budget friendly.  Mixed in an arrangement though with some other flowers you can still get the same impact without the high price tag.



Carnations are an excellent choice to compliment roses and probably the friendliest choice for your wallet.  If you're looking to stretch your dollar even farther, I suggest going to your local supermarket or grocery store the night before or the day of your party to get fresh flowers.  Usually in the florist area they will have a cart or basket of discounted flowers that they are trying to get rid of to make room for new, fresher bunches.  I almost always buy flowers from here when purchasing for myself because you can't beat the price and I find they usually have quite a bit of life left in them. Use your best judgement though; if it looks like the flowers are little sad or starting to turn brown, then they probably are not worth it.

The bouquet of roses I bought had 9 stems in it and then some chrysanthemums mixed in as well.  It had originally been priced at $15 and I got it in the bargain cart for $4.99!  The other two bunches were carnations and a variety of mini carnations called "Chateau".  They were originally $4 each and I got them for $1.99.  Thats a lot of flowers for less than $10! 

I used a variety of vases in different shapes and sizes to make my arrangements, but made sure they were all the same color so the overall look was cohesive.  I decided that green glass would look best with the red blooms and also just tie in well with the Derby theme.  If you don't have a stash of vases already, the best place to find them at just around $1 each is at Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.

I hope this post gave you some simple inspiration to add big style in an easy way for your next party.  This look is could work for any gathering; not just the Kentucky Derby.  

My next blog post will be the final one in my Kentucky Derby "Run for the Roses" series.  I'll show you everything put together to create a the perfect party for your guests!

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog